April 02, 2014

Short Messages to Dad - Letter B

 B - Beaches
The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach - waiting for a gift from the sea.Anne Morrow Lindbergh


You loved beaches. It was befitting your ashes were scattered at Elliot's Beach, a favorite spot in Chennai.

Hindu women aren't supposed to, but the priest (to my surprise) allowed me to accompany your son and nephews on this last leg of your earthly journey. I wasn't allowed to touch that small brass urn containing your ashes. Another feminist rant from me, but you've heard these and more for over 30 years, haven't you?

I stood on the short wall surrounding the beach. Teary-eyed, I watched three lonely figures wade into the water and release you from mortal confines.

4 comments:

M Pax said...

This is a lovely letter to your father. Thanks for sharing it. It's good to see you blogging. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

He knows it would've been you had you been allowed to go farther.

Mary Hill said...

God bless you in your loss. I will pray you find love and peace in these hard times. I lost my dad in May 1999. The loss still brings tears to my eyes, but I focus on remembering my dad as my strong and loving father, God bless.

Michelle Wallace said...

Oh Rekha, my heart goes out to you... stay strong!

Post a Comment

Glad you made it this far...would love to hear your take on the words scribbled. A comment every now and then keeps the blues away. :D

Since, crazy Mr. Blogspot won't let me reply to the comments here (is upset with the water ladies ever since they refused to verify visitors)...will do the next best thing, drop in to your blog to say my Vanakkam/Namaste/Salaam/Hello.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...