February 06, 2013

Writer's block or Writer bollocks- IWSG

The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day for participating blog owners who may be professional or amateur writers. (All you need is the passion and output, published or not). Started by Alex Cavanaugh the author of the sci-fi space opera CassaStar and sequel CassaFire, it is a means for writers to talk about their fears big and small. It is also an opportunity to connect to other writers who may have conquered these or are sailing in the same insecure boat as you.

A month has passed since I lasted updated this site and Google gave me a thumbs down for my so called writer's block - they called out on my bollocks (bullocks if that makes you feel less threatened) by downgrading my page rank from 3 to 2. Not that I mind, as this blog was a personal outlet for anger and frustration - which turned into a sort of showcase for my limited talent. Just that the freelance writer can no longer point out, with a fair amount of pride, to this beautiful home production on professional networks for quite a while.

Which brings us to the moot question, does writer's block really exist or it just an imagined state of mind used as an unwilling, unwitting scapegoat to cover up our laziness or preoccupation with other areas of life?

Can't I just say, I am so tired from writing crap copy for little more than peanuts, maybe dates, that my brain pretends to have a stroke when it comes updating this blog, forget about working on my fiction or poetry?
Truth be told, I have been missing this baby like a heroin addict just out of a failed rehab effort. While writing in isolation is still mandatory, blogging in isolation is no longer an option, not when I have a supportive community of writers that I call friends.

Relocating from cool Bangalore to pleasant for now Chennai hasn't been easy either, more withdrawal symptoms and then the farewell gift - finding that your best friend from college no longer wants to meet you in person.
The questions come pouring in, do my blog friends want to me meet me via these pages, do my characters miss me, and then Eureka, it hits me...do I miss all this?

I do, I do and so...before I chase you away, there is no writing block, not for me, just a matter of carving an hour or two and  pressing some buttons or keystrokes till something gives. A blog schedule helps too as does creating this toon...



14 comments:

Michelle Wallace said...

Hi Rek
Glad to see you back in BloggyVille. I missed your online presence...

Relocating isn't easy. In fact, it can be a nightmare. Hope you've settled in the new place.

That toon strip is delightful... you are so talented...
I hope that you're not going to disappear again...

Linda King said...

I love the title of this post! Glad to have you back :-)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Writer's block is very real. It choked George R.R. Martin out for years. Sometimes, I think the best way to overcome the dreaded block is to read what others have written. Somewhere in all those words is the spark that fires the imagination.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No such thing as writer's block. Sometimes it is a shift in focus and sometimes it's just fear.
Drift back into again, Rek. We've missed you!

Yolanda Renée said...

I agree, it's our way of taking a break, and blaming the cosmos. Cause we always have to blame something or someone.

But we also sometimes need that break, just face it, distract yourself and you'll soon find that yes, you miss it, have to do, actually need it.

Glad you're back!

Johana Vera said...

I'm with you. I'd like to believe it's a real thing, but it's probably not.

When you find an online community that's willing to put up with your quirks (here at IWSG we all put up with each other's quirks, it's wonderful) times flies and the next thing you know, the day is over. And guess what? No writing done! At least that what's happened to me more times than I can count.

My "writer's block" generally consists of:
a) crazy ideas popping on my head+internet to answer them all,
b) laziness (Oh, look what book just came out! I must finish it, review it, tell everyone about it and NOT WRITE MY OWN BOOK!),
c) actual job,
d) all of the above.

Anyway, since it's my forst time popping up here, I'm not gonna tell you I missed you because, well, that would be a lie. But it's nice to meet you:)

Easy (EZ) Editorial Calendar said...

Very well written....thanks for sharing :)

Did you get a chance to check the website www.ezedcal.com/ta to manage editorial calendar easily for your blog and show your editorial calendar in your blog easily (optional)
Thanks & Regards
Malar

Anonymous said...

Writer's block, a disease? That's a good one! Got me giggling this morning...it happens to the best of us, but so does stubbing one's toe now and then. Best of the day to you!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Yes, I always want to meet you here and miss you when you're gone.

xoRobyn

Denise Covey said...

Ah, Rek, writing for peanuts or not, writing is hard to resist! Sometimes we just need a little break, but it is an act of will to sit down and write. Inspiration comes after those fingers start moving--for me anyway!

Now I hope the Fan Fiction RFW challenges drags you out of the writing doldrums!

M Pax said...

I've missed you, Rek, and your stories. Your imagination is a gift that I love to dwell in. Your perspective is so different and refreshing. Sorry your move was so difficult. Hope you're settling in.

Golden Eagle said...

It's wonderful to see you in the blogosphere again!

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a rough time.

Linda King said...

Hi Rek - there's an award for you over on my blog - hope it's not one you've already had!

Charmaine Clancy said...

Time block seems more common than writer's block for most of us. Although sometimes I do need to leave a piece of fiction to let a plot point mull over in my mind for the right outcome. Mulling is an important part of writing for me. I'm a muller.

Post a Comment

Glad you made it this far...would love to hear your take on the words scribbled. A comment every now and then keeps the blues away. :D

Since, crazy Mr. Blogspot won't let me reply to the comments here (is upset with the water ladies ever since they refused to verify visitors)...will do the next best thing, drop in to your blog to say my Vanakkam/Namaste/Salaam/Hello.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...