February 23, 2013

Love Eclipsed? - Romantic Friday Writers

Time for another round of  RFW - Romatic Friday Writers February Challenge

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings among other things in this fan fiction spoof are the property of Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight series of books. The original characters and original plot are the property of author Stephanie Meyer. This author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any previously copyrighted material pertaining to the Twilight series of books or the Twilight motion pictures. No copyright infringement is intended in this fan fiction.

*A disclaimer for my readers...this follows the first person account of Bella and uses long, extraneous sentences as found in the original books. The setting is towards the end of the second book - New Moon where Bella, Edward and Alice are held hostage by the Volturi - the vampire royalty while in Italy. Bella's knowledge of the existence of vampires threatens their secret existence in the world. Unlike her beau and his family of vegetarian vampires, these are true, cold blooded vampires who prey on humans.*

We stood in the red room - Alice and me, not Edward - as you will find out soon enough, surrounded by red eyed men and women who looked more like diminutive porcelain dolls that  licked their lips every other second. Yes, I have been keeping count, nothing much to do as usual for me. I turned around at the noise as Felix snarled/smirked at me. I can never tell the difference with these pale, stoned faced monsters even after spending all my spare time with a similar pack of seven back home.

Hush! Bella! these are not monsters. 

I caught Alice's eyes long enough to find disapproval there and I rejoiced, only to be dejected a minute later for the glare in her golden eyes was directed at me.
I tried to erase my thoughts but it was too late, reminding me of the disadvantages of living with a seer, a sore point with Edward. He claimed and I had counter argued, and now I realised what how right he had been.

He had proclaimed to be a monster, not good enough for me. He was no monster, my Edward, he had proved it today, falling into an silent, unsightly heap on the floor diagonally across from me, no match for Aro's boys. I see him for the first time, his true self, an ageless but delicate, sparkling creature that called itself a vegetarian vampire.


Boy, was he way off when he said, "Bella, you are not good for me.'"

The bright smile flashed and my heart ached to see "him" in person once more. 
When I get out this mess alive, I am making amends to Jake. Will he take me back?
Edward was cold and icy to hot bodied Jake. His kisses, duh, if you could call those pathetic attempts one, fleeting, neither here nor there. 
Am I glad these pale faces cannot read my mind.

"There you go again," The wolfish smile on Alice's face said it all. I let myself be content with images of Jake tinkering with my bike, and being held in his hot, sweaty arms.

"Dream on, Bella. Edward is a classic stalker boyfriend who will not leave you alone now." She said to me, her voice so soft I could barely hear it. "I am sorry, Alice." 
"You owe me one." her words as cryptic as Aro's smile.

****
All I remember is being dragged through the dark, damp tunnel that went on and on.
"My heart hurts." I said to no one in particular.
"Sorry Bella, I forget my vampiric strength sometimes," The pixie looked very happy. "Let's go shopping."
I groaned. "You owe me one, remember." "Where is Edward?"  I had to ask out of sheer politeness, not that I cared.
As the door bell rang, she muttered, "Just in time." "I'll pick you up at 3. Have something, I can hear your stomach grumble." She vanished as always, not before yelling, "Don't wear your grandma clothes!"
Jake stood at the door. I caught my breath. I was going to faint. He held me, a little too tightly for comfort.
He sniffed the air angrily. Was Edward in the house?  I looked around, afraid and irritated. 
He turned to me, "Tell your leech friend, all the perfumes in the world can't hide her stink from us."
I relaxed and grinned when he whispered,"Just the two of us now. He's gone, that leech of yours."
"Where?" A stab of guilt tore at my heart. "He chose to be Aro's bodyguard." 
***
 My life was no longer dark. .A streak of blinding light illuminated my twilight sky. Bella was not that streak of light as I has long believed, Renata was. Bella's brain held no secrets. Renata, my partner, had shown me that. I had made a promise to Alice and I kept it. Bella was not my first kill, someone close to her had been. Jake was in for a nasty surprise when he went home tonight.
***
666 words (suprising isn't it?)

Hi folks, I am attempting a story after two long months...don't be too hard on me.

I was the guest at Nutschell's blog for Wednesday Writers Workspace...Do visit to know about my writing habits and a bit about me.

12 comments:

Scheherazade said...

Yeah, I've been having the same issue with Blogspot. Annoying.

Anyway--you have a very interesting selection here. I confess to not being into the Twilight series or anything vampire, but I thought this was a nice take on that kind of literature.

JANU said...

Yeah, I haven't read any of the Twilight series, but, this seems interesting enough...something real.

Denise Covey said...

I enjoyed reading Twilight after being egged on by my daughters and students. I was interested on your take on whiney Bella here.

Glad you're writing again Rek. Thank you for posting for RFW.

Denise

Sally said...

I don't know any of the Vampire stories but I found your story and writing very intriguing.

dolorah said...

Vegetarian, sparkly vampires; excuse me while I go pick up some Anne Rice :)

I'm not a fan of Twilight, and have only "watched at" the movies here and there. But I have to admit that of all the Twilight vampires, I admire Alice's gift as a seer. Though I haven't read the books, I like her.

That said however, you did a remarkable job of portraying the voice and sentiment of Bella. I remember this scene, and I think you nailed the internalization perfectly. My vote is for Jake, of course :) I liked Bella's spunkiness in this rendition.

Thank for posting this month for RFW Rekah. Excellent portrayal of the characters. You rock.

........dhole

Unknown said...

February 25th, 2013

Dear Rek,

Welcome back! You have not chosen the easiest of challenges for your return to REW. I think many have decided to skip this month because this writing assignment entails writing in the style of or borrowing the character and/or storyline of another author. You are not free to be yourself here.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the Twilight series at all. I almost never watch TV. I am not even certain whether or not it is aired in Sweden. But that doesn't matter, I enjoyed reading your text. You have breathed life into these 'bloodless' characters!

So far I have yet to write about vampires. I have written stories with non-human characters: cats, faeries, ghosts, angels, gnomes and even trolls. But not vampires. I can see that this is a tricky genre. I agree with Donne Hole, your characterization is good.

Well done.

Hope you have time to participate in the challenge for March too. It is always interesting to read your texts.

Best wishes,
Anna
ox

Yolanda Renée said...

I've not read the books either but am familiar enough with the movies and the characters. You captured the voice very well!

Anna is right though, a hard task, but truly a challenge!

M Pax said...

Wow, Rek. I enjoyed your addition more than the originals.

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Rek
I wrote about Bella and Edward too so I borrowed your disclaimer since I forgot to put one in my blog.

I'm in the middle of the Twilight book because my daughter is such a fan. I think you captured the language well. One thing is for sure, I'd be more interested in warm blooded werewolves too. Well written. One wouldn't know you took a writing break. I had one forced on me by illness.
Nancy

nutschell said...

haha. NEver enjoyed Bella and Edward til now. It was awesome to have you on my blog, Rekha!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Unknown said...

Hi Rek,
I found your blog on the list for IWSG, which I am going to try tomorrow. (I'm number 304.)
Best wishes,
Anna
AnnasAdornments for Insecure Writers March 6th

nutschell said...

Hi Rekha!
Just dropping by to say hello. :)
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Post a Comment

Glad you made it this far...would love to hear your take on the words scribbled. A comment every now and then keeps the blues away. :D

Since, crazy Mr. Blogspot won't let me reply to the comments here (is upset with the water ladies ever since they refused to verify visitors)...will do the next best thing, drop in to your blog to say my Vanakkam/Namaste/Salaam/Hello.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...