August 17, 2012

A Magical Journey

My  late...late entry for the WHAT IF? Fairytale Madness BlogFest! 
·          Best Love Story

Sadat seemed pleased as he turned to me. His long, delicate fingers created butterflies in the air and as usual in my gut.
"The Sultan, may the merciful one give him long life, has agreed to annul our wedding. But..."
I knew it! The greedy, 'honey with noodles' loving character hadn't changed in all of my 17 years on this dwelling of humanity. 
Sadat, my gazelle eyed beauty, was harping about the other crook in our lives, his father - the vizier. 
"Two marble palaces with walls encrusted in precious stones?"  Did I hear that right? The ethical djinn world was restive as it is with the marked lack of Arab spring out here. 
Sometimes, I wish I hadn't found the lamp. At least, Jasmine was out of Sadat's life. What was she thinking, flirting with my boyfriend in a transparent two piece?...Shaitan forbid, even my djinn has picked up her silly song as his welcome tune. I linked my coarse, browner hand in Sadat’s and sighed...
His face was adorned by an enchanting smile that revealed his pearly whites. Time to wake up the 'A whole new world' guy.  Rubbing the magical lamp never felt so good.

***
"Well, well, well! What have we here?" Imhotep ran his fingers over this shiny, bald pate. The crystal had revealed more than he had hoped for. His naughty 'nephew' was alive and the magic lamp--so near and so far. His eyes took on a glassy look, his pupils dilated and he drew a sharp breath at the sight of the pretty boy seated next to the thief.
'The temple of Anubis would be barren without this jewel.' He rubbed his ring. 
“My Akka, your wish my command." 
“Kublai Khan's Palace,” resonated through the empty chamber.

***
*Shaitan - Satan *Akka - Master 
* Imhotep -  High Priest, Egyptian architect, engineer and physician elevated to demigod, given evil traits in novels and myths.  "A greedy immortal here".

*Kublai Khan - Grandson of Mongol Leader Genghis Khan, created the Yuan Dynasty of China and played host to the Italian traveller Marco Polo.
*

Wc 290
* Got tired of writing hetero romances...


16 comments:

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Rek,

Over from the blogfest.... I liked your post. The use of classic names added much interest to the piece. Some very nice description.


It's nice to meet you.

A said...

Yes I agree with Michael, the names totally sucked me in :-)))

Morgan said...

"Time to wake up the 'A whole new world' guy." <----Clever!

This was really fun. I enjoyed the vibe around it all... there was a mood here, which I love. Very original! ;)

Anonymous said...

I love the line: His long, delicate fingers created butterflies in the air and as usual in my gut.
Gives a real sense of mood.The last line was a hoot! What fun!

M Pax said...

I loved the line about the butterflies, too, and the gazelle eyes. Very nice. Loved the story.

Pat Tillett said...

Love the names. It adds to the interest for me.
Several stellar lines in this great bit of writing Rek.

Mark Koopmans said...

Hey Rek,

That was very original and very well written.

Thanks for participating - and you weren't late at all :)

21 Wits said...

Very inspiring and vivid lines which carry along begging for more! It sounds like a perfect palace too!

Cassie Mae said...

Oh I love it when I recognize the names so I get the 'gasp' factor when they are mentioned. :) Great job!

Leigh Covington said...

Beautiful writing!
Very original! Love it!

dolorah said...

Interesting. Lots of great references there. I love the geni twist :

......dhole

Nick Wilford said...

So if I've got it right, Aladdin was the narrator here? This was beautifully done, Rek. I love your turn of phrase - this flows very well.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

great story. I love your choice of fairytale too. One of my favourites.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I love the Arabian Nights. You just took me back to a magical time in my childhood when I dreamed of flying carpets, djinn, and the mysterious all-seeing eye. I think that Arabian folklore is much more interesting and fascinating than just about any other cultures. I'd take it over Cinderella or Japanese fairy tales any day.

michelle said...

Original... and very creative too!
I love the spin you put on the Aladdin tale. Beautiful writing, as per usual.

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

High, girly (mezzo forté [Italian: medium loud])!! --- Take anything and everything you wanna from our wonderfull, plethora of thot to write the next great masterpiece -if- I can but kiss your gorgeous, adorable feets and cuddle withe greatest, human being ever to arrive in Seventh Heaven. Think about it. Get back to me Upstairs. God! Blessa! Youse! -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL

Post a Comment

Glad you made it this far...would love to hear your take on the words scribbled. A comment every now and then keeps the blues away. :D

Since, crazy Mr. Blogspot won't let me reply to the comments here (is upset with the water ladies ever since they refused to verify visitors)...will do the next best thing, drop in to your blog to say my Vanakkam/Namaste/Salaam/Hello.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...