March 17, 2012

Wee Story About Wee Creatures? - Got Green?" Blog O'Hop


For the get green bloghop at Mark's blog... I emailed him; about having nothing remotely Irish in me, though some 19th century Irish thinkers loved to postulate their theories of racial ties of Druids with Indian Aryans based on language similarities. He baited me in with the hook of a flash fiction on Wee men and their pot of gold. Well Mark, a belated St. Patrick's day.

Courtesy Karenswhimsy- public domain images
She came gliding in her emerald studded, golden glass slippers. The swishing of the grass gown, distracting.
 "Very green" grumbled one the members seated on the semi circular rainbow table, secretly wishing he was single.
"Energetic, not our trait." the wee woman's nasal snarl.
The hatted man chuckled happily, gathering ominous stares from the others. He ignored them, thrilled at the prospect of a female assistant. Bushy eyebrows and matching beards tortured his daily vision.
"Oh my! Exquisite shoes!"  the secretary with her hand on her heart.
" Boyfriend’s gift for St.George's day." Leaned closer and mouthed in her ear.
"English!! Ya codding me? Wind your neck in, Colleen," the older woman cautioned.
She laughed happily, showing off her perfect, square teeth made of gold.
She moved to where the impatient trio waited, pulled out a chair, and passed her green leather folder.
Pale hands went through the embellished cards neatly stacked in chronological order. Accompanied by sighs and eyebrows lifted in disbelief, it passed at last to the older man .
He winked at her; she winked back conspiratorially.
"Impressive accomplishments. A talented family indeed." He added with a smug look.
"King Midas?" barely withholding a snuffle.
"That would be my great-great-great grandfather. Tricked into touching his favourite daughter was so devious." 
The snarl turned into a smirk.
 The soon to be single man, "Explain Julius Caesar."
"His sister. Smart duo. As Cleopatra's bosom friend, she taught her the womanly viles."
"Who is Silas Marner?" 
"Oh...that would be Móraí...can I tell a secret?"
Wizened eyes sparkled. "She never..."
She looked at her uncle warningly. "She loved him. Espie foiled her plans."
"Dubai shopping festival?”
"Brother Patrick. They love gold even black ones ."
"What do you bring on board?"
"Federal Reserve vaults. Three bars for three plus three given."
Few minutes of hushed conversation,
"Welcome, our newest portfolio manag..."
The secretary interrupted, “ Lucifer on the line, again..."
“ Tell him, 'Leprechaun Gold Inc' are greed investors not soul collectors.”

WC 333
Not Irish, not Leprechaun but can I spin a tale? Tell me pleash...


For those unfamiliar with:
St.George's day - Holiday of patron saint of England
St.Patrick's day  - Holiday of patron saint of Ireland
Irish Slang
Codding me - kidding me 
Wind your neck in - be careful, think about it
Colleen - young Irish woman.
Móraí - Grandma in Irish Gaelic


20 comments:

Hope Roberson said...

Happy St. Patrick's day and nice to meet you :)

Leigh Covington said...

Yes! You can most certainly spin a tale! I love it! Spectacular story for the holiday!

Huntress said...

HA! Great ending! I about fell off the chair laughing.

Visiting from Mark's blog.

A said...

Oh yes, happy st patrick's day :-)

21 Wits said...

Oh my golly yes you can! From beginning to end! It was an o'grand tale!

Miranda Hardy said...

A great tale indeed. Have a great weekend.

Morgan said...

Such Irish fun! Nice work! Hope you had a great day! :D

Mark Koopmans said...

Aloha Rek,

I am *so* glad you decided to join us for the Blog O'hop:)

I, too, loved the "ending," but would love to know more!

Thanks again :)

Anonymous said...

Nice piece of flash fiction. Thanks and have a happy and safe St. Patrick's Weekend!

Unknown said...

Rek your writing always leaves me intrigued and a little perplexed. You know when you feel like you can't wait to get to the end coz you sure you gonna find something wonderful and unpredictable.I can't wait to read a complete work by you.

Golden Eagle said...

Interesting story!

I hope you had a great St. Patrick's Day. :)

Pat Tillett said...

Very good Rek (as always)!
I'm a bit behind (everywhere). Hope you had a nice one! I'm on the road, but it was still good...

Annalisa Crawford said...

Good story, Rek!

Linda King said...

Intriguing - and I like your writing style!

Cherie Reich said...

Such a fun story! I hope you have a nice St. Patrick's Day!

M Pax said...

I liked the shoes and the grass skirt. lol Loved the misunderstanding.

Denise Covey said...

Rek, your writing style is indeed great. I see you've become a member of RFW. I hope you can slay us with your words soon!

I've a bit of the Irish in me. Love St Pat's Day. Very big in Oz.

Denise

Shannon Lawrence said...

I like it! Fast paced and amusing. Clever!

Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

aayanman said...

First time here, and I must say this is a wonderfully designed blog! It makes for a great reading pleasure.

Brendan said...

The paddywhackery, plastic paddery and shamrockery is over now until next March 17.

Post a Comment

Glad you made it this far...would love to hear your take on the words scribbled. A comment every now and then keeps the blues away. :D

Since, crazy Mr. Blogspot won't let me reply to the comments here (is upset with the water ladies ever since they refused to verify visitors)...will do the next best thing, drop in to your blog to say my Vanakkam/Namaste/Salaam/Hello.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...