December 07, 2011

The Writing Journey - Reflection Of Our Growth? - IWSG


The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day for participating blog owners who may be professional or amateur writers. (All you need is the passion and output, published or not). Started by Alex Cavanaugh the author of the sci-fi space opera CassaStar and upcoming CassaFire, it is a means for writers to talk about their fears big and small. It is also an opportunity to connect to other writers who may have conquered these or are sailing in the same insecure boat as you.

Writing Growth












                   

There are things, small changes I have noticed lately, related to my favourite past-times involving music, books and movies.


Been noticing that the works I loved even a decade ago are something I can't stand and even cringe at nowadays. I used to love hard rock which, now, often seems like noise. Authors like Danielle Steele, Sydney Sheldon, Indian authors like Shobhaa De, Salman Rushdie (India born and educated) even Ayn Rand whose books I used to gobble up in my late teens and early twenties are largely ignored.


Which got me thinking, does our writing reflect the change/growth in us as we age,  just like our evolving tastes in arts and other things? How often do our own personal experiences or that of acquaintances turn into short stories and novels?
Can even non tamperable genres like fantasy and sci- fi incorporate our ideologies, prejudices, dreams?
 How far is it practicable or proper to do so?

9 comments:

21 Wits said...

It is a delightful mystery I think when I stop and really think about what I'm doing or liking now compared to in the past...it does tell us things about ourselves...I know though for the most part many of the things we liked or enjoyed eating as a child even (at least for me) are still my favorites!

farawayeyes said...

Everything and everyone changes. It's a good thing.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Hi Rek, I'm on the Insecure Writers blog hop and noticed you'd left comments on posts I was reading, so I thought I'd come and check you out.

I'm the opposite to you - I still love the music, films and books that I used to. One of my favourite things is to introduce my kids to the music and films I was watching long before they were even thought of.

Deniz Bevan said...

I'm with you - I used to read Sidney Sheldon and others too, and can't anymore.
I do hope my own writing is improving...

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to check it out. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Terrific blog and terrific design and style.

Tomz said...

It is nice to hear your tastes in reading..and hey y dont u change the template to some other lighter themes..?It shows some errors there..

Brianna said...

My tastes have changed, especially after my daughter was born. I haven't read any romance novels since then, but that's all I read in high school.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Missed your post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! We post again on January 4.

Arlee Bird said...

My tastes have not necessarily changed, but the emphasis has begun to lean in favor of particular things over another. I still like heavy rock music sometimes, but prefer to listen to classical most of the time now--but I've always listened to classical. I read more non-fiction now than I used to. I've always leaned toward eclecticism.


Lee
A to Z stories starting 12/12 and the official A to Z Badge is now revealed
Blogging from A to Z

Post a Comment

Glad you made it this far...would love to hear your take on the words scribbled. A comment every now and then keeps the blues away. :D

Since, crazy Mr. Blogspot won't let me reply to the comments here (is upset with the water ladies ever since they refused to verify visitors)...will do the next best thing, drop in to your blog to say my Vanakkam/Namaste/Salaam/Hello.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...